As the cost-of-living disaster continues to wreak havoc, MasterChef winner and Weekend Kitchen presenter Lisa Faulkner has rounded up her prime “chiller thriller” freezer hacks to utilize some nifty frozen favourites.
She’s additionally partnered with Ocado to whip up three quick-to-prep and inexpensive midweek dinner recipestogether with a hearty high-protein feta, garlic crouton and vegetable salad, a super-speedy Thai prawn, butternut and spinach curry and a crispy rooster traybake utilizing Rice Krispies.
Chiller thriller hacks
I all the time have a bag as I can add it to soups or perhaps a pack of supernoodles to get some wholesome veg into quite a lot of dishes. Stir by way of mash potato, add to chickpeas for dhal, serve with a frozen fishcake for a fast freezer dinner… the checklist goes on.
Veg nearing its sell-by date
I empty my fridge drawers and discover all of the oldish bits of veg which can be left – carrots, leeks, broccoli – I chop these up and put them in a freezer bag. I’ll make fridge raid soup or add it to stews. It means I all the time have veg of some type in my freezer.
Fruit that’s seen higher days
I do precisely the identical with berries, apples and grapes and use these to make smoothies.
I break up any brown bananas that the household have vetoed as a result of they’re too previous. I freeze them and make cheat’s ice cream with a splash of yoghurt or banana cake.
I do know it looks like a faff but when a recipe requires breadcrumbs, its nice to have some in a bag within the freezer. I take bread crusts and final bits of baguette and whizz them in food processor. They don’t have to be defrosted and add crunch to a pasta bake or mac and cheese or they can be utilized for breaded rooster or fish.
I prefer to make a double batch of cookie dough, one to prepare dinner immediately and one to roll right into a sausage form and place within the freezer in clingfilm or greaseproof paper. Slice off a number of rounds and prepare dinner it for a fast candy deal with repair when somebody is having a nasty day!
Herbs and ginger
I freeze most contemporary herbs, some freeze higher than others however they maintain their style even when they don’t look good! Parsley, chives, coriander all freeze .
The crunch bunch: crispy rooster traybake
That is one in every of my favorite freezer-raid recipes. The puffed rice cereal provides a stunning crunchy coating to the rooster, and you should utilize no matter veg you’ve got lurking in your freezer.
Arms-on time: 10 minutes | Complete time: 45 minutes
100g puffed rice cereal (we used Rice Krispies)
500g mini rooster breast fillets
4 tbsp mayonnaise
300g child potatoes, halved or quartered
170g Ocado Personal Vary Frozen Supersweet Sweetcorn
400g Ocado Personal Vary Frozen Broccoli Florets
300g Picard Frozen Sliced Leeks
100ml rooster inventory
150g full-fat crème fraîche
1 tbsp dijon mustard
Handful of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/fuel 6. In a big bowl, frivolously crush the puffed rice utilizing your arms.
2. Put the rooster and mayo in a shallow dish and toss to coat, then season properly.
3. Working in batches, tip the rooster into the puffed rice bowl and switch to coat. Put aside.
4. Put the potatoes and the frozen sweetcorn, broccoli and leeks in a big baking dish. Bake within the oven for 10 minutes, or till the veg begins to melt.
5. In the meantime, make a sauce by whisking the inventory, crème fraîche and mustard in a jug; season.
6. Take away the veg from the oven, tip the dish to empty any extra water, then pour over the sauce. High with the rooster and return to the oven for 25 minutes, or till the rooster is golden and crisp.
7. To serve, divide the veg and rooster between plates and spoon over the sauce from the underside of the baking dish. Scatter overthe parsley and dig in!
Prepare dinner’s tip: It’s essential to make use of full-fat crème fraîche on this recipe, as lower-fat varieties can cut up when heated.
Terrific toppings: chargrilled vegetable salad with feta and garlic croutons
Reinvent frozen flatbread by turning it into scrumptious garlic croutons – simply the factor for perking up a heat salad utilizing frozen blended Mediterranean veg, salty feta, peppery watercress and candy balsamic.
Arms-on time: 10 minutes | Complete time: 25 minutes
200g cherry tomatoes
500g M&S Frozen Chargrilled Mediterranean Greens
1 M&S Frozen Garlic Butter & Cheese Flatbread
2tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/fuel 6. Organize the cherry tomatoes and frozen greens in a baking tin and roast for 10 minutes.
2. Crumble the feta over the veg and return to the oven, together with the flatbread on the shelf beneath. Prepare dinner for 10 minutes, or till the feta is smooth and the flatbread is golden.
3. In the meantime, mix the rocket and watercress in a serving bowl.
4. Reduce the garlic flatbread into bite-sized items – these are your croutons – and scatter over the greens together with the feta and veg. Drizzle over the oil and vinegar and toss gently to mix. Serve the salad whereas heat with a number of good grinds of black pepper, in the event you like. Finest eaten instantly whereas the croutons are crisp, though any leftovers will maintain in an hermetic container within the fridge for two days.
Change it up: As an alternative of feta, attempt cubed halloumi or a handful of mozzarella pearls.
Creamy and comforting: Thai prawn, butternut and spinach curry
This fast and simple purple curry makes use of veg that may be cooked straight from frozen, in addition to juicy frozen prawns – a quick method so as to add some protein that feels slightly particular too.
Complete time: 30-35 minutes
1 tbsp vegetable oil
35g Thai purple curry paste
300ml coconut milk
1 tbsp mild smooth brown sugar
1 tbsp fish sauce
300g M&S Frozen Butternut Squash
200g Ocado Personal Vary Frozen Leaf Spinach
200g frozen uncooked king prawns
720g M&S Frozen Lengthy Grain Rice (4 x 180g sachets)
200g Ocado Personal Vary Frozen Edamame Beans
Handful of coriander leaves, roughly chopped, to serve
1. Warmth the oil in a big pan. Add the curry paste and fry for two minutes, or till aromatic. Stir in 100ml of the coconut milk to loosen, then add the sugar and fish sauce and stir to mix.
2. Add the remaining coconut milk and the frozen butternut squash. Simmer, uncovered, over a low warmth for five minutes.
3. Add the frozen spinach and stir to mix. Simmer for five minutes, or till the squash is tender and the spinach has softened. Stir within the frozen prawns, then cowl and simmer for 10 minutes, or till pink and cooked by way of.
4. In the meantime, prepare dinner the rice sachets in line with the pack directions. Place the frozen edamame in a microwave-safe bowl with 1 tbsp water, then cowl and microwave on excessive for 3-5 minutes, till cooked. Drain, add to the cooked rice, and fluff the 2 along with a fork.
5. Serve the prawn curry with the edamame rice and the coriander scattered excessive. Retailer any leftovers in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 2 days.
Change it up: For a vegan model, swap the prawns for further frozen veg and use vegan curry paste and fish sauce.
Ocado is launching a Fill your Freezer marketing campaign from 22 Feb till 14 March, the place there will likely be a “5 for £10” provide on a spread of frozen merchandise, together with pizza, greens and ice cream, to assist everybody take advantage of out of their freezer this spring and past. Discover out extra at ocado.com.